The recently-passed CARES Act includes the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). This program offers loans to cover payroll and some other expenses while small businesses (including nonprofits and churches) face losses of income during COVID-19.
Because this Act is so new, there remain many questions about how to access these loans. The process is unclear to many churches, pastors and denominational bodies. Here, the NH Council of Churches offers collected resources to support church leaders:
Two Immediate Steps to Take
- Before taking any advice below, please check your denominational guidance first. Our list of links to denominational links will guide you to specific details from those judicatory bodies.
- Contact the bank that your congregation uses to inform them that you wish to participate in the loan program.
- On April 7 and April 14, the Massachusetts Council of Churches will offer webinars on the CARES Act.
- Christianity Today, The CARES Act & Your Church Staff: What You Need to Know & 4 Steps to Take Now
- The National Center for Nonprofits offers a webinar Federal Coronavirus Relief Bills: What Do They Mean for Nonprofits? (93 minutes long).
- The NH Center for Nonprofits also maintains a list of CARES Act-related resources.
- Contact your elected representatives whose staff can help offer guidance. Use the site Who Is My Representative? to find contact information.