Pictured (left to right): Rev. Drew Courtright, Rep. Kris Schultz, Rep. Bob Elliott, Rev. Jason Wells, Senator Jeff Woodburn and Bishop Rob Hirschfeld.
This morning the New Hampshire Council of Churches co-sponsored an ecumenical Ash Wednesday service. Worship leaders spanned multiple denominations:
- Rev. Charles Buck, Conference Minister, NH Conference of the United Church of Christ
- Rt. Rev. Rob Hirschfeld, Bishop, Episcopal Church of New Hampshire
- Rev. Tim Roser, Associate to the Bishop, Evangelical Lutheran Synod of the Northeast
- Rev Jason Wells, Executive Director, NH Council of Churches
- Rev. Kate Atkinson, Rector, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church
- Rev. Drew Courtright, Curate, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church
- Heather Maconaghy, Director of Music Ministries, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church
Bible passages were read by:
- Senator Jeff Woodburn, Minority Leader, District 1
- Representative Kris Schultz, District 18
Other supporters includes Senator Jeb Bradley (Majority Leader) and Representative Bob Elliott, himself a retired Lutheran pastor.
Ash Wednesday raises the spiritual reality that we are universally in need of God’s help: that universality points to an essential unity that transcends differences in denomination, gender, political party. Our Executive Director, Rev. Jason Wells, preached the sermon, which you can listen to below:
Download the Order of Service (PDF).