December 21 is the Homeless Persons’ Memorial Day, commemorating the people who have died in the past year while homeless. December 21 is the longest night of the year and in New Hampshire, the severe cold reminds us of the suffering of those living out of doors. Many churches in New Hampshire support and serve the homeless in their communities and many of our church member-volunteers attend outdoor vigils on this night.
Here are the vigil events happening around New Hampshire that we are aware of:
- Concord: Thursday, December 19 at 4:00pm at City Plaza (on Main Street in front of the State House) Contact: Ellen Fries, email@example.com See this event on Facebook. Download this flyer to share.
- Dover: Saturday, December 21, 6:00-8:00pm, outside Dover City Hall See this event on Facebook. Download this flyer to share.
- Hampstead: Sunday, December 22 at 6:00pm at Hampstead Congregational Church, 61 Main Street.
- Keene: Thursday, December 19, 5:30pm at the United Church of Christ Dining Hall, 23 Central Square, Keene (see flyer for extra details). Parking and entrance behind church on Vernon Street. Contact: Mindy Cambiar, firstname.lastname@example.org
Laconia: Thursday, December 19 at 5:30pm in Veterans Park Contact: Len Campbell, 603-528-3035
Lancaster: Saturday, December 21 at 6:00pm, Main Street gazeboContact: Carolyn Towne, Tri-County Community Action Program, email@example.com
Lebanon: Sunday, December 22 at 4:30pm at Colburn Park (The Green) Contact: Lynne Goodwin, 603-448-2944
Manchester: Thursday, December 19 at 6:00pm in Veterans Park Contact: Gerry Paquette, 603-235-6823
Manchester: Friday, December 20 at 12 noon at Cafe 1269, 351 Chestnut Street, 2nd floor Contact: Craig Chevalier, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nashua: Monday, December 23 at 6 pm in front of City Hall Contact: Tom Lopez, email@example.com
- Newport: Saturday, December 21 at 6:30 pm in Newport Town Common Contact: Rev. Jay MacLeod, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Peterborough: Saturday, December 21 at 5 pm at the Peterborough Town House Contact: Susan, 603-924-5033
- Portsmouth: Friday, December 20, 5:30 pm to 6 pm in Market Square (in front of North Church) Contact: Jessica Parker, email@example.com