Our American tradition of neighbor helping neighbor has always been one of our greatest strengths and most noble traditions. ~Ronald Reagan
Did you know that there are more than 1,500 immigrant and refugee students being served by Manchester School District’s English Learning (EL) programs? These new Americans and their families often have very limited resources and school social workers go to great lengths looking for creative solutions to meet these kids’ needs. Based on the successful program in the Governor Wentworth Area School District in the Wolfeboro area, we are establishing a network to connect our new neighbors with people who might be willing to reach out and help.
In collaboration with the Organization for Refugee and Immigrant Success (ORIS) and social workers from the Manchester School District, we are excited to announce the formation of New Neighbor Connections!
How will this program work?
- A school social worker who identifies a need will pass this information along to our New Neighbor Connections coordinator at ORIS.
- New Neighbor Connections will send an email to our mailing list (no more than twice a month) with these requests.
- Any volunteers interested in fulfilling the request will respond to the contact person specified in the request.
- The identities of both donors and recipients will be kept confidential.
Here are some examples of ways in which you might be asked to help:
- Provide specific items of needed clothing (e.g. a winter jacket)
- Provide specific needed household items
- Provide guidance regarding higher education opportunities
- Contribute toward driver education class fees
- Contribute toward college testing and application fees
- Purchase gift certificates to grocery stores
All financial contributions will be tax deductible. (ORIS Tax ID #760826598)
- Financial donations can be made through the ORIS website refugeesuccess.org where you can donate via PayPal. (Click the yellow “donate” button and indicate “New Neighbor Connections” in the “add special instructions” field.)
- Checks can be mailed to: ORIS, 434 Lake Ave. Second Floor, Manchester NH 03103
We are reaching out to you to ask your parish and others in your community to become involved and to invite other individuals and organizations, who might want to participate, to share their contact information. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know if we can add your church or interested organizations and individuals to this mailing list.
There are ongoing needs among new American families for items in good condition that may not be listed in NNC emails, such as: used laptop and flat screen-era desktop computers, bed linens, child items (e.g., baby chairs and strollers), household goods, and some furniture. If you have such items to donate, please also contact email@example.com .
Finally, New Neighbor Connections hopes to develop an informal network of people who can help, from time to time, in bringing donated items from their local area to Manchester where they will be distributed to needy new American families. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are willing to be part of the informal transportation network.
Thank you for considering playing a role in making these New Neighbor Connections!
New Neighbor Connections Advisers
- Mukhtar Idhow, Executive Director of ORIS
- Ardo Mohamed, New Neighbor Connections Administrator at ORIS
- Amadou Hamady, Manchester School District EL Program Social Worker
- Sheryl Power, Kingswood Regional High School Social Worker
- Marge Thomas-Mueller, Alton Resident
- Warren Muir, Wolfeboro Resident
- Sarah Nordstrom, Hanover Resident